Sunday, December 21, 2014

The Annual Renewal of Hope

I hate when people talk about how the Christmas season has become stressful and busy and we need to slow down and appreciate things and "remember the reason for the season." Mostly because I never feel very stressed about Christmas or like I've forgotten why Christmas is a holiday and I just love this time of year. But I guess at some point I do start to get so wrapped up in the atmosphere and the Christmas parties and friends and family that I do sort of forget what it's all about in lieu of remembering what Jesus did for us.

But somehow, no matter what, God figures out a way to get to me and when I least expect the reality of the Christmas story and the fact that Jesus became human for humanity hits me like a freight train. And I never quite know how to handle myself in those moments, because I am stuck, immobile, paralyzed by the knowledge that God humbled himself, became one of us, taught us the truth, and died like a criminal for people who could never ever deserve it. It's like a light being turned on in a dim room, and all of a sudden everything becomes more clear.

It's kind of magical how this happens. I never anticipate it, and I never get tired of it. It fills me with such joy to know that there is a Light shining in this darkness that seems to consume our world and that the Light can never be overcome, no matter how dark it gets. It gives hope in this dismal world. It gives life to those who are dead. It brings peace to those who are weary.

I want this feeling of deep, heartfelt understanding and gratitude to be spread to every single person in the whole world.

No comments: